Landfill gas produced by the degrading action of micro-organisms on the municipal solid waste. It is extracted and processed to produce electricity, fuels, and other chemical compounds. Apart from producing useful products, this process also helps in elimination of waste products and harmful gases that are emitted from the disposal of such wastes.
The process of utilizing waste to produce power also saves a lot on energy costs, reduces emission of greenhouse gases and prevents our environment from getting polluted.
Landfill gas extraction system is designed and installed by certified and experienced technicians, who ensure appropriate design of landfill gas extraction system according to the client’s instructions.
Services provided by Installation companies
Landfill gas extraction installation companies provide the following services to their clients:
- System design: They offer a complete design service that includes safety and health analysis, risk assessment, site visits, pipe size determination, ATEX zoning survey, project plan development, system commissioning, and development of built drawings. Also, designs and installation is provided for:
- Leachate storage tanks.
- Concrete bund formation
- Level control
- Telemetry systems
- Flow control and its monitoring
- System maintenance: Once a complete system for landfill gas extraction is installed, its maintenance is also conducted by these organizations, and they ensure any future repairs including pipe works, electrical systems, mechanical repairs, electrical and pneumatic pump service, valve and geo membrane repair, gas well repair, sealing, testing and periodic inspections.
All the maintenance activities are executed in a safe environment by trained staff under health and safety guidance as mentioned in the state legislature.
- CCTV surveys: Another major benefit provided along with the installation is a CCTV survey. All these camera surveys are recorded, edited and transcribed to a AVI, SVCD or DVD for identification of well problems such as:
- Collapsed Wells
- Debris build up
- Joint Displacement
- Pump retrieval
- Free flowing solids ingress
- Electrical systems
- Pneumatic systems
- Base station
- Remote Management System
- MS Access and data-processing software systems and packages
- Landfill gas and Leachate well remediation
- Liner/Geo membrane repair
- Well sealing or lining
- Well lowering/extension
- CCTV Well Surveys
- Landfill monitoring: A consistent and secluded Leachate level monitoring is provided for:
- Landfill remediation: Fully tested and engineered solutions are provided for all the problem associated with landfill infra-structure under adequate construction quality assurance including:
- Fabrications: Fabrications of well heads, tanks, vessels, gaskets, flanges, top plates, manhole chambers, bends, knockout pots, silt traps, floating platforms and pontoons is also available with pre-fabrication drawings. These equipments are also pressure tested and certified when required.
- Slit-Pro: This is designed to retrofit Leachate system for easy future maintenance. Removal of silt on regular intervals prevents major blockage in the landfill pipes.
Steps followed in monitoring of landfill gas extraction operations
The following steps are followed to ensure a thorough monitoring of the operations of landfill systems:
- Installation of a thermometer and a sampling port at each wellhead to measure gauge pressure, concentration of oxygen and nitrogen, landfill gas temperature on regular monthly basis.
- Calibration, maintenance, and operation of temperature monitoring device and the device that measures gas flow rate. Bypass line valves myst be secured in closed position.
- Calibration, maintenance, and operation of heat sensing device including ultraviolet beam sensor and thermocouple and a device that measures the flow of flare every 15 minutes.
- Apart from the open flare and enclosed combustor, all the other devices must be provided with detailed information about its operating mechanism, monitoring and operating parameters to USEPA.
- Monitoring of surface methane concentrations annually to keep the methane reading within the limits of 500 ppm.