It is the dream of every home owner to possess a home that is perfect in every way, not only internally but also in its outward appearance, i.e., whether it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye while at the same time being truly functional. In this regard, the choice of the right type of siding will play a major role. What are some of the main issues you need to keep in mind when selecting the right siding for your home? A few of these requirements which will help you protect your home from the elements, while enhancing its curb appeal and re-sale value are given below. There are several varieties of sidings that are made from materials like stucco, stone, brick, wood, vinyl, engineered wood, split logs, metals, stone and brick veneers and fiber cement. Each of these has its own pros and cons. For example, a stone siding has durability, low maintenance and is perennially beautiful, but its overall cost is high. Vinyl siding, on the other hand, is inexpensive, durable, versatile, easy to install, has minimal upkeep and is impervious to insects and water. You, therefore, need to ensure that whichever siding you select, it possesses most of the qualities you are looking for.
1. Water Resistance and Durability
These two qualities are necessarily interconnected as water resistant types will definitely have a longer lifespan. The US is a land of diverse climatic conditions. Some areas are subjected to extremes of climate, others to tropical conditions, and some to blinding snowstorms, thunderstorms and high levels of precipitation all of which necessitate the choice of a siding that will be able to withstand the vagaries of the climate. When choosing the siding you also need to ensure that it is, for practical purposes, nearly impervious to the weather and that it will protect your home against mold, moisture and insects and that it has exceptional strength and impact resistance. It should also be one that is capable of resisting rusting, cracking, peeling, rotting, denting and fading.
2. Aesthetics. The first thing that you notice about a home is its external beauty. Your choice of siding will determine whether your home looks beautiful to you and your family and whether it blends in with your surroundings. So choose a siding that creates a visually appealing and graceful silhouette combined with strength.
3. Ease of Installation. This is another factor that needs careful consideration. Installation of most types of siding needs to be done by professionals. You need to check out whether the company you are purchasing the sidings from have their own expert professionals to handle the job. In case you are installing the siding on your own, make sure it is within your capabilities and that the siding creates no harmful dust when cut.
4. Energy Efficiency: The siding you choose should have an R-Value rating for energy savings. Further you need to understand what materials will be required as insulation beneath the cladding. The siding you pick should be free from air leakages that cause significant heat loss or gain.
5. Versatility: The exterior of your home will probably dictate the type of siding you choose. The siding should, therefore, have sufficient versatility to allow for all the adjustments needed for the external appearance you have selected for your home. Don’t forget to calculate the costs of these adjustments as well as it will have an effect on the overall cost of your project.
6. Cost: When considering the cost aspect, don’t forget to take into account the cost of installation as well. You will have to balance the cost with the different benefits you will derive from a particular type of siding by way of energy efficiency, low maintenance and durability. Also check out if long-term warranties are available on the siding as this is a clue as to how weather resistant a product really is.
While you’re thinking about vinyl siding, consider taking care of other repairs in your home. Check doors and windows to see if they need to be repaired or replaced. It makes sense to this at this time. Go for vinyl replacement windows with the Energy star label. You might get cash rebate on energy-efficient siding and windows.