Water can cause severe damage to your home or office building. Both the interior and the exterior can suffer from the damage, making it seem impossible to repair. Waterproofing is a specialized skill that not every contractor has. Whether you are looking to prevent water damage, or you need repair done, it is imperative that you find a good reputable company, such as Home Spec Advanced Basement to complete the work.
To help you in finding a good Michigan basement waterproofing company, here are some basic questions you should ask before hiring:
- One of the most important questions to ask your potential contractor, is if they hold the proper licenses, insurance, and permits. A professional, legitimate company will provide these items to you. These items are necessary to not only protect you and your home or office building, but also to protect the company and workers.
- Obtain references and inquire about experience. You will want to have a basement waterproofing company that is experienced in the type of work that you will need completed. In addition, you will want to actually call the references given to make sure the work was done as advertised and there are no additional problems after the job has been completed.
- Many basement waterproofing companies will offer a warranty on their work. Be sure that you get the details of what is covered in the warranty – just materials or is labor included as well. It should also explain what is covered in the event that they need to come back and correct a problem. And lastly, ask if the warranty is transferable and if there is a time limit on it, or it is a lifetime warranty.
- Be sure to ask for a full, detailed summary of how they expect to complete your basement waterproofing. With so many available solutions, you will need to understand fully why they have chosen their method of repair, to determine if it is right for your specific situation.
- Waterproofing can be very expensive. Always ask for a detailed list of the costs that will be associated with your waterproofing work. You will want to understand the difference between the material costs and the labor costs, as this can make or break your decision.
- Always get in writing what the aftercare instructions will be with their proposed waterproofing method. Each application will vary and can also incur additional costs. You will want to know if it is something that you can do yourself or if you must have a professional complete the aftercare.
While there are many questions that can be asked before hiring your basement waterproofing company, the ones above are a good start. Every situation is different and will require different techniques and applications. Make sure you understand it all thoroughly before making your decision.