Introduction to Steam Cleaning of Carpets
Despite the best attempts of home owners, carpets often end up getting stained and endure spills. Such accidents cannot be avoided all the time and carpets need to be regularly cleaned and maintained in order to keep them looking new and fresh.
One of the widely used and best methods to thoroughly clean a carpet is the steam cleaning method. The method is also known as hot water extraction method and it is by far the most effective way to remove dirt and grit from carpets. The process is offered by many carpet cleaning professional services and is also easy enough to be done by owners themselves.
Steam cleaning of carpets involves a cleaning detergent or solution mixed in hot water which is sprayed in bursts onto the carpet fiber. The moisture is then quickly sucked in by a vacuum operation. Carpets are then required to be set aside for complete drying before they can be put to use again.
This method has gained wide popularity all over the world as it is a relatively easy process and is completely safe and healthy process for carpets and even the home environment. However, this method does prove to be more time consuming and is also more expensive than some other cleaning methods.
Some tips and tricks you should know about steam cleaning carpets
A few simple tips and tricks can be employed in order to steam clean carpets in the best possible way. Some of these include:
- Make sure to test the steam cleaning process on some hidden part of the carpet first before fully indulging in the process. This will help you ascertain if your solution is of adequate strength and will also prevent any damage on using homemade solutions or extra strong solutions.
- The steam cleaning process is quite lengthy and requires a good amount of hard work. Leaving the process incomplete will ruin the carpets and users must make sure to have their time adequately planned out. People will also need to do some stretching and other exercises before all the work commences.
- Make sure to check the manufacturer recommended cleaning solutions on the steam cleaning machine that you will use. You can either opt to buy or rent one of these steam cleaning machines. Using non recommended solutions could even void the warranty of the device.
- Ensure that you vacuum clean the carpet and the floor area before beginning the steam cleaning process. This will remove most of dirt and grit and will greatly reduce the amount of mud being pushed through the carpet during the steam cleaning process.
- Stains should be blotted as soon as possible and preferably before the cleaning process commences. Wine and juice stains can be removed using club soda or a mixture of water and vinegar.
- Some of the common household items such as baking soda prove to be great cleaning solutions. While cleaning the carpet, this also greatly reduces odor.
- Make sure not to steam clean your carpet on humid or rainy days and also avoid cold winter days.
There are many simple tricks that one can use in order to steam clean carpets. Steam cleaning is a non-toxic process safe to the health and is also generally not harmful to the carpet material. It can be safely done as often as required, provided that it is not prohibited by the manufacturer.