If you notice when out and about in the Sydney area, you will soon realise that the vast majority of homes have slate roofing, and despite the emergence of composite roofing materials, you simply cannot beat a slate roof. While slate is certainly not the cheapest roofing material, it does tick all the boxes from a homeowner’s perspective, and here are just a few reasons why Australian homeowners stick with slate regarding roofing.
- Stylish & Elegant – There’s nothing to compare with a professionally installed slate roof, and with a range of shades and finishes, you have many design options. Slate is extremely durable; something that is vital for a roofing material, and it can handle anything the Australian climate can muster up, which is a very comforting thought.
- Great Thermal Properties – A slate roof will reflect most of the sunlight, helping to keep the home cool in the hot summer months, and in the winter, the slate roofing will help to retain the warmth, and that keeps energy bills down. Slate is also fire-resistant, which is ideal if you live within a known bushfire risk area, in fact, many rural homes have slate roofing for this very reason.
- Range of Exciting Finishes – You only have to look at some of the stunning slate roofing in Sydney to see how diverse the range of finishes actually is. There are several shades, while the surface can be shiny or matt, depending on your preferences, and once you are talking to an established slate roofer, they would have a huge album of fine examples, to help you make the right choices.
- Slate Stands the Test of Time – Slate roofing is designed to handle the worst of the Australian climate, and most slate roofing companies are happy to issue a full 25-year warranty on their work. In the event the odd tile needs replacing, the roofer would easily be able to source ideal replacement tiles, leaving the roof in its original condition.
- Low Maintenance – Slate roofing requires very little maintenance, thanks to the amazing durability of slate, and all that is really required is the occasional power wash, which removes moss, dirt and grime that builds up over the years. The roofing contractor that installs a slate roof would offer to carry out annual roof inspections, for a small fee, and this would pinpoint any minor issues that can be promptly repaired.
Slate roofing will never be the cheapest option, yet it does offer the homeowner a very durable roof that is also elegant and extremely efficient, and if you would like to talk to a genuine slate roofing company, a Google search will help you locate a local specialist.